WE INVITE YOUR SUPPORT that will take Novalis Ubuntu through the COVID19 Lockdown into our next phase of Creating a bright new UBUNTU-values based future for South African Civil Society.
Due to restrictions placed on our basic income generating enterprise, we are inviting your support to take us through and beyond this lockdown period.
The text in the images is available as text below.
Ways to donate are at the end of the text
A little bit of History: The Novalis Ubuntu Institute was founded in Durban in 1983 by Dr. Ralph T. Shepherd and a group of conscious friends with the purpose of making a creative contribution to the educational,
social and cultural challenges of our times.
Our programs have positively impacted communities locally and internationally, with a key focus on child-centred innovative and accelerated learning programs already successfully taken by
over 100, 000 teachers and community leaders.
Our core focus is empowering and strengthening the creativity and resilience of dedicated men and women educating and caring for vulnerable children living in impoverished communities.
Novalis Centre is situated in Cape Town, South Africa, in close proximity to public transport and is accessible to all
communities in the Western Cape. The Novalis Centre is the head office for our outreach work.
The Novalis Centre hosts training and community enrichment programs and activities in a uniquely designed Resource Centre, with 6 meeting and training rooms, a large assembly space catering up to 250 people. In addition we run an Information Centre, library and Café with ITC networking space; our organic vegetable garden supplies our kitchen and an additional teaching
site. Novalis hosts regular markets, concerts & a multitude of civil society gatherings. During 2016, Novalis hosted more than 18,000 people with a full-time staff compliment of 9 people and a team
of committed volunteers.
Vital Needs to Victory:
RAISE SEED CAPITAL FOR NEW NOVALIS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (R3M) ($165, 935).
• REPAIRS AND UPGRADE OF EXISTING BUILDING (R1,2M) ($66, 375)
• PURCHASE THE LAND ON WHICH NOVALIS CENTRE STANDS (R1,5M) ($83, 000)
• EMERGENCY FUNDING TO BRIDGE COVID19 LOCKDOWN ANTICIPATED LOSS OF INCOME (R450 000) ($25 000)
1. Novalis Resource Centre – a multifacetted operating HUB for civil society community and education centre catering for the greater Cape Town area.
2. Novalis programmes – A Chance for Every Child, iThemba Advocacy Project, Library for schools project, Experience-based adult education programmes that provide personal development, enrichment and empowerment of community leaders, social workers, teachers, caregivers, and youth leaders.
3. A vibrant Centre that promotes and supports innovative & sustainable initiatives including markets, concerts, book launches, film evenings, storytelling – a community cultural exchange meeting place, hosting civil society dialogues in partnership with sector partners spreading Ubuntu values and empowering community leaders.
Annual running costs of the Centre comes to R1,2 million.
Of that, the Centre generates approximately R450 000 with its own revenue income entreprise.
That leaves a shortfall of R650 000 per annum which we generate through further selling venue hire space and services to the training projects
- A Chance for Every Child (AC4EC) and its various conferencing days, and
- Youth Empowerment Solutions (YEP) programme, and
- Novalis Community College.
The venue space is 751 square meters.
74% constitutes operating and staff costs with 26% administrative and overhead costs.
100 people giving an average of (R4,500) ($250) will meet the lockdown
Associates & Partners:
Cape Town Interfaith Intitiative – see photo on the next page.
Department of Arts and Culture – intergenerational conferences showcasing social cohesion .
Department of Correctional Services – Memorandum of Agreement to assist them with art-based experiential programmes within the prisons in Cape Province.
Department of Education – Western Cape.
Emissaries International and Local – Sunrise Ranch, Colorado, Gate House Centre Cape Town, Riverdell Centre, Austria and Edenvale Centre BC.
Anthroposophical Society of Southern Africa and its affiliate bodies Centre for Creative Eduction,
Anthroposophical Society of the Western Cape, Sofia Association Stockholm, Sweden.
Forum Syd, Swedish International Development Aid.
The Light Centre and Lovelight, Kansas City USA.
Schulweg e.V, Heidelberg Germany.
Numerous Volunteers and supporters.
In South Africa via EFT:
The Novalis Ubuntu Institute
Standard Bank, Constantia
Current Account: 07-179-4409
Branch Code: 025309
Please include the reference ‘Donation’ with any transaction.
In the USA:
Scroll to the bottom of the page
Thank You for Becoming Aware of the Beauty of our Connectivity (Ubuntu)